This is a tasty and fresh Swedish open sandwich that deserves the freshest ingredients. As a Pescatarian although I am reducing my intake of fish these day, this is strangely satisfying lunch. I say strangely because it doesn’t look like a big portion on the plate but the combination of dense rye bread, creamy avocado and crayfish mayonnaise is a filling meal.
I first encountered these types of open sandwiches at a local cafe called 3 Course, which serves all sorts of authentic Scandinavian food. (my husband is Swedish so if he says it’s authentic I trust it is…)
Traditionally I’ve found Swedish food quite heavy and meaty but I’ve tried these delicious Toast Skagen’s in Stockholm and as Canapes at a wedding and they are my firm favourite style of Swedish food at the moment. I’m hoping to be introduced to more Scandinavian dishes to share with you!
- 200 grams fresh shelled crayfish
- 2 tablespoons of homemade mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon creme fraiche
- Large tablespoon of chopped dill
- teaspoon dijon mustard
- Tablespoon of finely chopped red onion
- Salt & pepper
- Slices of rye bread
- Optional fish roe for the topping
- Lemon & salad leaves to serve